Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Staycation - A Gift And A Curse

The end of today will conclude five glorious days off from work. I had some vacation days left to burn before Friday so I decided to set myself up for a nice little staycation. Lack of funds and the need to buy new furniture in the very near future decided my holiday weekend fate.

While I enjoy it, I don't get to travel often. It's a good thing that I like Boston a lot most of the time because I'm usually stuck here. I went to a superb July 4th party up in Nahant during the week and saw the most amazing fireworks. They were literally on top of us. So much so that I covered my face because an errant ash to the face would not have been a good look.

I made my first visit to the new Georgetown Cupcake on Newbury St. and it is most certainly worth the hype. The shop is minimally decorated and so clean feeling. I had the heavenly key lime cupcake and need to try many more flavors ASAP.

Friday I had a great day out with one of my best friends. We hit up Rosa Mexicano for lunch (Best. Guacamole. Ever.) and then did a little bar hopping at the Seaport. It was a gorgeous summer day and the sea breeze that comes off the harbor can't be beat when it's super hot out.

While my time off was great and I'll be getting out of bed kicking and screaming tomorrow morning, I can't help but feel a little down about it. Having alone time is both a gift and a curse. I have a job where I have to talk to a lot of demanding people all the time, it's so nice to be able to have days where I don't have to talk to anyone at all. But that gets old fast. I'm a born talker and I love being around people (Geminis unite!), but I let loneliness turn into shyness and insecurity way too often. Which turns me into a hermit, which is an even worse look than the aforementioned ash to the face.

So it's a work in progress! Much like GIP. I definitely don't want this blog to be a diary, but I have no problem with getting a little personal. I hope everyone had a fun holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment