Monday, January 14, 2013

Golden Globes Red Carpet: Meh?

Truth be told - I am a little underwhelmed by last night's red carpet. I'm not WOWED by anyone, but I also am not horrified by anyone either. Even Helena Bonham Carter kept it relatively together. For her I mean. I thought the show itself was great. I will join everyone else in singing the praises of Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. They were hilarious. I just wish they would have been on more! I think there were some great surprises - Ben Affleck winning Best Director for Argo and Argo winning Best Drama for starters. I haven't seen it, but I will try to before the Oscars. It's really too bad he was overlooked by The Academy for a Best Director nod. Lena Dunham winning for Best Comedy Actress and for Best Comedy for Girls is awesome. That is a very polarizing show, but I like it a lot. I think it's very realistic and smartly done even though some bits are unpleasant to watch and there is really nothing likable about Hannah. Moving on to dresses!

I'll start with my best dressed of the night:

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
Naomi Watts In Zac Posen

To get the full effect, you have to see the back. Gorgeous, right? I think long sleeves with an open back are such a great design decision. The styling is perfect and he hair is so complementary. It's simple, but it's beautiful!

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
Kerry Washington In Miu Miu

No surprise here, right? Fresh off her incredible Django Unchained run, Kerry wore this amazing crystal beaded Miu Miu dress. I love the peek-a-book hemline (I wouldn't call this tea length) and the simple diamond vintage watch. She didn't need anymore jewelry with this. I love the edgy (edgy for an awards show) hair as well. Keep on looking amazing, K-Wash (sorry!).

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
Michelle Dockery In Alexandre Vauthier Couture

Would we expect anything less from Lady Mary Crawley? Well, kind of if you remember her Emmys disaster dress. This is a complete redemption as far as I'm concerned. This dress is really chic and different. I love the white and gold together and the little pop of emerald on her ring. If only Sir Matthew was there to accompany her. I have a hard time separating TV from reality with Downton Abbey ;)

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
Julianne Moore In Custom Tom Ford

Julianne Moore told Seacrest that she sent an e-mail to Tom Ford and asked him to make her a dress. IF ONLY, right?! This dress also boasts an open back and it's just as chic and smart as Naomi Watts'. As I've said before, black and white is a huge trend for Spring and no one does it better than Tom Ford. I love the bracelet over the sleeve and the little snakeskin clutch. I could have done without the earrings because I think they're a little too hokey for this dress. Her hair and make-up are sublime though. 

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
  Jennifer Garner In Vivienne Westwood Couture

For someone who dresses so frumpy in her normal life (harsh, but true), Jennifer Garner always looks so damn good on the red carpet. I think we still have Rachel Zoe to thank for that. This is a great color and it's extremely flattering on her. I love the look waves around her face and the gold accessories. Her best accessory was obviously her hot, award winning husband


Now the bad:

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
Jessica Chastain In Calvin Klein

So close, yet so far. This color is gorgeous on her, but the shape is so wrong. I feel exactly like the woman behind her. I have no understanding of why you would want your boobs to look saggy by totally unnecessary fabric. This reminds me of the scene in The Proposal when Betty White puts her old wedding dress on Sandra Bullock and there's so much fabric that Betty can't find Sandra's boobs. Not good.

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
Sienna Miller In Custom Erdem

I like that this is a skirt and a top, but that's about all I like. The colors are childish as are the stupid flowers springing off it. Erdem makes beautiful dresses like this and this. He could have done a lot better. Sienna Miller is such a style icon so this is pretty disappointing. 

Image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America
Lucy Liu In Carolina Herrera

I looked at Carolina Herrera's Pre-Fall 2013 collection last week and I thought it would be interesting if someone wore this dress. Mostly because I wasn't sure how it would translate on the red carpet. The answer is badly. The print is just way too overwhelming and I hate the Rapunzel braid. This dress would/will be great in an editorial spread if it's butched up a little (leather jacket, rough make-up), but it's not happening here. Soz, Luce.

See what I mean about meh? No one blew me away and no one made me recoil in horror. But I guess that's okay. Hopefully this makes will see some amazing and crazy looks for the Oscars! Who was your favorite? Least favorite? Did you love Amy and Tina as much as everyone else?

2 comments:

  1. Naomi Watts was my best-dressed, too! I loved everything about it. Also really liked Michelle Dockery's dress. Surprisingly, I sorta enjoyed Kate Hudson's dress, too. Really liked Amy's and Tina's first dresses. They were such great host(esses?), and I hope they get the chance to host more award shows together in the future. I nearly fell off the couch laughing when they were taking the piss out of Taylor Swift!

    Yay for Ben Affleck! I know he's had many ups and many downs (ahem, Bennifer..., the Blake Lively rumours...), but I can't help rooting for him, come what may. How lovely for him that he's grown into quite the talented director, and I am eagerly anticipating his and Matt's collaboration for the Whitey Bulger film!

    What I cannot understand is why people continue to invite Jessica Alba to awards shows that aren't shit like the Spike TV Hot Babes of Hollywood Awards (though I might be paraphrasing, I'm pretty sure they have some version of that). Seriously. The most recent thing that girl has done is shilling for the Windows phone. She can't act, she's boring as all hell, and seems to have zero personality or else she's a frigid bitch (and I have heard gossip about how that is totally true).

    Totes agree with you about Lucy Liu's CH dress. Super pretty, but definitely magazine pretty, not red carpet pretty. My other worst dressed is Heidi Klum. I couldn't tell you what that woman actually wore, but the photo of her mid-step on the red carpet with her sky-high slit horrified me. You could literally almost see vag. Gross. If that's how she rolls, she needs to find a pole STAT.

    Loved your fashion recap of last night! Keep up the good work! I have enjoyed reading your blog.

    - Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this was you before I even saw your name! In Jessica Alba's defense - I don't rate her as an actress - she has started a company that produces natural and eco-friendly products called Honest. So fair play to that, but I think she only gets invited to these things because she looks good in a dress. I do think she has great style. And you're right about Heidi Klum. While her body is still amazing, I think she's getting a little too old to dress the way she does. Thanks Em!

      Delete