Monday, January 28, 2013

SAG Awards Red Carpet

Another Sunday, another awards show! The Screen Actors' Guild Awards didn't become a "thing" until a few years ago, but I'm so glad they have. They now get their own red carpet special on E! and they're televised. They're televised on cable and apparently they land on the night Ryan Seacrest is too busy washing his hair and doing a moisturizing face mask, but they're still a thing! If you sat through all two hours of E!'s excruciating red carpet show helmed by Giuliana Rancic and Ross Matthews, I applaud you. They were awful. I've never missed Seacrest more. I'm happy to say, however, that there was some great fashion on display! Starting with my best dressed, of course.

Image via Jason Kempin/Getty Images North America
Marion Cotillard In Christian Dior

Marion Cotillard had some sort of plague last night, but you would have never known it. This stunning little Dior dress is my best of the night. I've said it before, but a full tea length/peek-a-boo skirt will get me every time. This deep teal blue is a fresh color and I love the color block. Her styling is impeccable, with a cute, modern bob, diamond necklace, and pumps. Magnifique! 

Image via Jason Kempin/Getty Images North America
Amanda Seyfried In Zac Posen

I was totally underwhelmed by the Givenchy dress Amanda Seyfried wore to the Golden Globes, so I'm really happy she redeemed herself here. She wasn't the only star in navy blue, but she was most certainly the best. No one does a mermaid dress like Zac Posen. The layers and detailing on the hem are so beautiful. I love the styling with the long necklace and the wavy hair. And I love that she's still Karen from Mean Girls.

Image via Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America
Anne Hathaway In Giambattista Valli Couture

Going by Twitter reactions whenever Anne opens her mouth, not a lot of people like her. This makes me sad because I really like her! I get how she can come off as arrogant and insincere, but I don't think those are real traits of hers. I think she just has a slight awkwardness about her. But as long as she keeps wearing couture that literally walked the runway five days before she put it on, she'll be okay with me. Again, the tea length thrills me and the styling is perfect. I also love that when she went up to accept her award she ran up the stairs in five inch Jimmy Choos. That's my girl. 

Image via Jason Kempin/Getty Images North America
Jennifer Garner In Oscar de la Renta

I feel bad for calling Jennifer Garner a frump so often because she has completely knocked my socks off at the last two awards shows. This dark gold lace is gorgeous on her. I love the curly hair and light make-up. This looks like it's so easy for her, which is quite a feat knowing that she is a jeans and t-shirt girl through and through. 

Image via Jason Kempin/Getty Images North America
  Claire Danes In Givenchy

I never really thought of Claire Danes as much of a fashion risk taker until she regularly started showing up on red carpets. The asymmetry is very cool and it feels different and I love the modern detail on the slit. The dark lip color really works for me. Mostly because I have a similar color and it's my favorite at the moment ;) 

Image via Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America
  Nina Dobrev In Elie Saab

I'll be honest, I don't even know what show this girl is on or what she does, but she always looks amazing on the red carpet. Elie Saab gowns are often a little too fussy for my taste, but this is stunning. I am as much of a sucker for a t-shirt top as I am for a tea length skirt, so this is a no brainer for me. Simple and perfect!

Image via Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America
   Jessica Pare In Custom Jason Wu

I'm glad I noticed this one in a gallery this morning because she didn't get any red carpet time on E!. I love everything about this - the color (emerald is the color of 2013), the styling, the hair, the make-up. It's all very smartly done and I'm happy that Jason Wu is getting even more coverage! 

I have one look that's in fashion limbo. Behold:

Image via Jason Kempin/Getty Images North America
  January Jones In Prabal Gurung

I still have no idea what I think about this. It's very fashion forward, which I like. I like that January loves and gets fashion and does not work with a stylist. I love the orange lip color. I think it's the hair that's really throwing me. It's way too David Bowie and that weird little tail in the back is doing her no favors. But it's edgy and I love that she did something different. I think with different hair I would be all about this. 

Here are my worst to bring up the rear:

Image via Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images North America
   Freida Pinto In Roland Mouret

I actually think the dress is okay here. It's a little too roomy up top, but it's not horrible. I have a major problem with everything above her neck. What the fudge is up with that horrible, unstyled soccer mom hair?! It's like they ran out of time! It was falling in her face all night! Ugh. A sleek, low chignon would have been perfect with this. What the hell happened?

Image via Frazer Harrison/Getty Images North America
 Sofia Vergara In Donna Karan Atelier

Dear Sofia, Fire. Your. Stylist. The fabric is tacky and the fit on her boobs is all wrong. Women this busty cannot wear strapless dresses! It just looks trashy. There is nothing new, interesting, or fresh about this. Blah. 

That's it! There are only two on my worst dressed list. Pretty good, huh? On the whole this was a really good red carpet and it makes me even more excited for the Oscars. Have a look through a comprehensive gallery here and tell me who you like and dislike. And please tell me what you think of January Jones. I'm dying to hear other opinions about it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment