Thursday, February 21, 2013

Spotlight: Duro Olowu for JCPenney

After my less than successful experience with the Prabal Gurung for Target collection I'm surprised I'm brave enough for another go around with a designer collaboration! Long story short - UPS thought they lost my shipment only to find it later and deliver it four days late. Upon opening said package I discovered that Target got my order wrong. So I came out of it with one top (which I love!) instead of the three things I wanted. Moving on!

Duro Olowu for JCPenney. Who? What? Maybe it's just me not paying attention, but this one is/was totally under the radar! I saw a tweet about it a few days ago and if not for that I would never have known. The last time I shopped at JCPenney I was probably around 12 years old. I know they've re-branded themselves recently and are really trying to push their clothes, but I still haven't bitten. Duro Olowu changes that. First, the man. Duro Olowu was born in Nigeria and is based in London. He is known for prints and calls Mrs. Obama a fan. That should be enough to pique anyone's curiosity! Here are some lookbook highlights:

Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
Image via Duro Olowu/Refinery 29
I want it all! I'm really, really blown away. Not one to fear colors and/or prints, it will be hard for me to pick just a few things to buy. The collection also includes, jewelry, bags, shoes, and housewares. Yes, those little vases are for sale and not just props! The collection is available from March 1st and prices ranges from $10-$100. I would expect the clothes to be in the same range as a Target collaboration - $30-$70, but I could be wrong.

Are you experiencing designer collabo burn out or are you still willing to brave early morning shopping trips, crashed websites, and shipping issues? I'm still willing to brave it; especially with this collection. I think the quality of the designs is superior and different enough for me to endure potential frustration.

Tell me what you think of Duro Olowu for JCPenney! Also, JCPenney just announced a future partnership with Georgina Chapman of Marchesa for a line of special occasion, prom, and party dresses. JCPenney - who knew?!

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous discovery. That green maxi is a revelation. Now all we need is some non-blizzard weather to enjoy all this finery. I have high hopes for JC Penney and their rebranding adventures- I heard they are moving towards in store boutiques like Nordstrom/Bloomies/etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great? I'm not a maxi dress girl, but I may give this one a try.

      Delete