Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Where Do We Go From Here?


One of my favorite days of the year turned in to one of the saddest days I've ever experienced. I still don't know if I understand or comprehend what happened. My heart is broken for Boston and all of the wonderful people who have dared to enjoy the Boston Marathon over the years. How dare we enjoy people from different countries, cultures, ages, life circumstances and difficulties come together in this city to run the greatest foot race of all time. How dare we.

I have lived along the marathon route between mile 23 and 24 for the past five years and Marathon Monday is without question my favorite day of the year. My sister is a great marathoner and if not for her I may not be as interested or involved, but I'm sure it would be something I'd enjoy. I love a party and Marathon Monday is the greatest party Boston has. It's our most special day of the year. I make fun of Boston a lot, but I've lived here for over nine years and I've come to love it. I think you earn that as a Bostonian - the right to make fun of it. You learn to hate its faults. And then celebrate them five minutes later. And then probably hate them again by the time the night is over. Boston is Boston. You can't change it. You just have to learn to be okay with it. Everyone's hated a Bostonian. Everyone's probably loved one too.

Someone or some people wanted to kill in Boston yesterday and they succeeded. As I write this we don't know who or what was responsible for this, but what we do know is that is was terrorism. This is a global event. People from all over the world were in this city for the marathon. This was an attack on the world. Not just Boston. But it happened here; in our backyard. I spent seven years in higher education trying to figure out or at least gain a better understanding of why people do things like this. And I never really came up with an answer despite the two large, etched pieces of paper and multiple thousands of dollars in debt that would suggest that I have. I do know, however, that I don't believe in evil. I don't think I can articulate that further at this point, but it's just not a concept I believe in. I have faith in all of the branches of law enforcement who are working so hard to achieve justice here; whatever that justice may be.

I think it was Katherine Switzer, the first woman to ever run the Boston Marathon, who said, "If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon." Her words were validated tenfold yesterday. I don't know what the coming weeks or months will bring in Boston, but I know that next year on April 21st I will be at my spot at mile 24 screaming my head off for all of our runners because Boston and our special day can't be broken.

Boston, you're my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment